Game Changing Battery Materials
ASX:ATC / FRA:A3Y
Altech Chemicals Ltd is at the cutting edge of developing battery materials for a Lithium-ion battery future and is successfully incorporating silicon in graphite anodes to produce higher energy density batteries.
Altech Chemicals Ltd is an Australian company with global reach.
- Australia – innovative and patented Silumina Anodes™ battery materials coating technology that has been proven to increase EV battery capacity by 30%.
- Germany – construction is underway for a pilot plant to demonstrate the Silumina Anodes™ products to end users. The pilot plant is fully funded.
- A preliminary feasibility study has recently been finalized for the construction of a full scale 10,000tpa Silumina Anodes™ products battery materials coating plant in Germany to utilise the Silumina Anodes™ technology.
Altech Chemicals Ltd recently announced its game-changing technology of incorporating high-capacity silicon in lithium-ion batteries. Through in house R&D, the Company has cracked the “silicon code” and successfully achieved a 30% higher energy battery with improved cyclability or battery life. Altech has achieved this by coating silicon and graphite with high purity alumina (HPA). Higher density batteries result in smaller, lighter batteries and substantially less greenhouse gases, and this is the future for the EV market. The Company’s proprietary silicon graphite product is registered as Silumina Anodes™.
Altech is in the race to get its patented technology to market. The Company has finalized a preliminary feasibility study (PFS) for the construction of a 10,000 tpa Silumina Anodes™ material plant at its recently acquired 14-hectare industrial site within the Schwarze Pumpe Industrial Park in Saxony, Germany. The PFS demonstrated outstanding financials. The European graphite and silicon feedstock supply partners for this plant will be SGL Carbon and Ferroglobe.
Altech has also received green accreditation for this project from the independent Norwegian Centre of International Climate and Environmental Research (CICERO). To support the development, the Company is constructing a pilot plant next door to allow the qualiﬁcation process for its Silumina Anodes™ product. The Company has NDAs with two German automakers as well as a European based battery company.
Why HPA Coating on Silicon and Graphite Anodes?
- Reduces first cycle loss (Tau et al., 2019)
- Improves cycling stability
- Improves high-rate performance (Feng et al., 2016)
- Improves fast charging capability (Kim et al., 2016)
- Prevents thermal runaway under mechanical abuse (Xu et al. 2019)