Today is the 155th running of the “Race that Stops the Nation” in Australia, the Melbourne
Cup, which is the world’s richest race over 3,200m or 2 miles.
Our research has uncovered some interesting statistics:
- Barrier 18 is the only gate never to produce a winner since barriers came in in 1924.
- The most successful barriers have been 9 – 12 with eight victories from 2006 – 2015.
- Numbers 4 and 12 are the most successful boasting 11 wins followed by:
- No 1 10
- No 6
- No 5 and No 8 8 wins.
- The last horse carrying No.1 to win was Makybe Diva in 2005 and prior to that was Rising
Fast in 1954.
Winner Stats – Age
- 4 and 5 year old horses have the best winning record.
- In the last decade six 6YOs won the Melbourne Cup – including Prince Of Penzance (2015).
- Only two 8YOs have won the Melbourne Cup.
Winner Stats – Sex
- Makybe Diva is the most famous mare to win the Melbourne Cup (2003, 2004, and 2005).
- Only 13 females have ever won the Cup.
- No mare has won the Melbourne Cup since 2005.
- Stallions (Entires) hold the record.
- In the past decade the average Melbourne Cup weight carried to victory is 54kg – 55kg.
- Heaviest weight carried to victory was Carbine with 10 stone 5 pounds (66.0kg) in 1890.
- Phar Lap carried the highest weight with 10 stone 10 pounds (68kg) but lost.
- Lowest Weight carried to victory was Banker with just 33.5kg in 1863.
- During the past 35 years only Makybe Diva (2005) has carried 58kgs or greater to victory.
- More winning jockeys have worn black as their main colour than any other colour.
- Navy blue and royal blue is the next best and more popular in recent Melbourne Cup history.
Horse Colour Statistics
- The colour Bay (reddish-brown coat with black mane, tail and lower legs) has produced 8
of the last 11 winners.
- That being said Bay is one of the more common coat types among horse breeds.
Horse Name Stats
- Only 9 horses with a first name that begins with a vowel have won.
- Of these, 5 began with the letter E (Efficient, Ethereal, Empire Rose, Even Stevens and
- The most common are horses whose names begin with the letter S (9 winners), followed by
R (8 victories).
- In any event, no horse whose name starts with I, Q, U, X and Y has ever won the Cup.
- Melbourne Cup betting favourites have won 32 times.
- Fiorente (2013) was the last favourite to salute for the punters.
- Did you know – Makybe Diva won the 2003 Melbourne Cup but she did not start favourite.
- Phar Lap was the shortest priced favourite to win when 8/11 in 1930 followed by Revenue
(7/4 in 1901) and Archer (2/1 in 1962).
- Only three triple figure roughies have won the Melbourne Cup with The Pearl (100-1 in 1871),
Wotan (100-1 in 1936) and Old Rowley (100-1 in 1940).
PrimaryMarkets wish all our Member-Followers the best of luck today and always remember our
slogan – “In Liquidity We Trust”!!