Non-Fungible Token or NFT is generally a one of a kind, or at least one of a very limited run, digital asset with unique identifying codes that represents real-world objects like music, videos, art and ‘in-game items’.
They are bought and sold online frequently with cryptocurrency and they are generally built with the same underlying programming as many cryptos.
Initially launched in 2017, OpenSea is the first open marketplace for any non-fungible token on the Ethereum blockchain and to this day remains the largest general marketplace for user-owned digital items supporting multiple blockchains with the broadest set of categories and the best prices for new emerging digital item classes.
Popular NFT Collections featured on the platform include Bored Ape Yacht Club, CryptoPunks, Azuki, Art Blocks Curated and The Sandbox available to more than 600,000 users
According to latest reports, the total value of all NFT transactions worldwide jumped 21,350% to more than US$17 billion in 2021, from $82.5 million in 2020. (A record breaking US$3.4bn monthly traded volume was transacted on OpenSea in Aug 2021)
The latest round of funding for OpenSea which is also the world’s first official NFT Unicorn company, the Series C in January 2022 recently raised $300 million in fresh capital led by venture capital firms Paradigm and Coatue puts the company at a US$13.3 billion valuation, up nearly tenfold from the startup’s US$1.5 billion valuation in July 2021.
Unicorns Companies on the PrimaryMarkets Platform:
- USA based Companies with an estimated market capitalisation in excess of US$1B.
- Trading in these securities entails compliance with USA regimes such as FINRA and SEC as well as possible ROFR (Right Of First Refusal) imposed by many Unicorns.
- All Traders must be Sophisticated, Professional, Institutional, Accredited Investors.
- Minimum trade size US$250,000
- Enterprise Value US$13.3bn (Jan 2022)
- Funding Raised to Date US$426.5m
- Last Funding Series $US300m (Jan 2022)